Two different types of courses are offered over five and a half days – the general introductory course and an advanced course. Both of which can run simultaneously as the courses are limited to 4 students maximum to allow for personal tuition.
The introductory course includes general model and mould making techniques for those requiring basic plaster skills or needing a refresher course.
The advanced course is aimed at those who already possess a certain knowledge in this field or for those who have already done the introductory course here. ( NB Anyone who has not done my introductory course, please contact beforehand to discuss the possibilities)
During the Introductory course you will be introduced to:
• MODEL MAKING using machine and hand techniques i.e. plaster lathe and whirler turning, hand carving, flat plaster work etc.
• MOULD MAKING which covers 'drop-out' or simple piece moulds including spares and 'setter' making ( a supplementary piece used for minimising rim distortion during drying and firing.)
• SLIPCASTING in bone china including finishing techniques.
(NB It is not possible to make a cast from the moulds produced during the course as they will not be dry enough, however, casting experiments can be done into ready-made moulds ready for firing.)
• PACKING AND FIRING an electric kiln for bone china (1260 c)
During the advanced course you will be introduced to:
• HANDLE AND SPOUT MAKING
• LIDDED CONTAINERS
• BLOCKING AND CASING ( process used for multiple mould manufacture)
• MULTI-PART MOULD MANUFACTURE
WHAT TO BRING:
* An idea of a simple form you wish to make
* If pursuing a specific project, a ready-made plaster or damp clay model . ( Please contact to discuss)
* Hand tools are provided, however, do bring any personal favourites!
* A sketch/ note book / camera
* An example and /or slides, photos of own work, if appropriate
For further info contact :
T: +44(0) 7855 110603
The course is non-residential, however, there is a choice of B&B’s /chambres d’hôtes in the village and nearby hotels. Please make your own selection and contact the owners directly (prices based on November 2016 rates).
La Villa Rose,
Rue du Canal, 19350 JUILLAC
( 2 mins walk from studio)
T: + 33 (0) 5 55 25 08 88
Contact: Joan and Boris Mourad
(B&B - €60 per night - all students receive a 12% reduction for the week if doing the course)
( 10 mins walk from studio)
Gîtes de France ref: 19G3033
T: + 33 (0) 5 55 25 15 04
Contact: Walter and Cathy Roubertie
( Ideal if coming with a family or in a group. Prices range from € 850 mid-season to € 1380 high-season per week )
( 10 mins drive from studio)
T: + 33 (0) 5 55 25 15 69
Contact: Mr Gérard Veillet
(B&B/hotel - from € 47 per night - car is necessary)
There are facilities available within the town ( 5 mins walk from studio ) however, please note these are only open during July and August. Nearby Pompadour has camping facilities open throughout the year.
Please contact us if required to make a reservation.
Ryanair and Cityjet to Brive Airport ( Vallee de la Dordogne) – (30 mins drive to studio)
Ryanair and Flybe to Limoges ( Bellegarde) – ( 1h 30mins drive to studio)
There are car hire facilities at both airports.
Alternatively you can take a taxi to the respective train stations.
We can collect you from our nearest station which is Vignols St Solve which has connecting trains from Limoges or Brive.
Lunches and dinners are included in the course price, with the exception of Thursday evening*.
The food is home-cooked by Peter using seasonal produce and, depending on the weather, eaten al fresco in the garden or inside in the spacious kitchen. Non-participating partners, or family members, are more than welcome to join us where there will be a supplement of 10 euros per person for lunch and 20 euros for supper, including wine.
*Thursday evening is a free night allowing you to discover other local culinary delights. In the summer months of July and August, we take advantage of the local Thursday marchés des producteurs (markets with local produce, barbecues and live entertainment!)
Terms & Conditions
1. Your booking will be confirmed in writing upon receipt of a 50% deposit of the course fee in euros, or equivalent sterling, with the balance due 8 weeks before your course begins. We accept payment sterling or euros by BACS transfer. (Details will be sent with booking confirmation)
2. Booking received less than 8 weeks in advance must be accompanied by payment in full
3. Transfer or refunds may be made, provided at least 21 days notice is received, otherwise refunds will only be made if your place has been filled.
4. We reserve the right to cancel the course up to 2 weeks of the start date. Your deposit will be fully refunded or, alternatively, you will be offered another date.
Please contact us for further information